Open Position: Program and Operations Assistant
Full time position
Applications Due: March 10, 2019
Artis is an independent nonprofit organization that supports contemporary artists from Israel whose work addresses aesthetic, social and political questions that inspire reflection and debate. Artis was founded in 2004 by philanthropist Rivka Saker with the goal of amplifying international recognition of artists from Israel. Starting off as a series of public events timed with New York’s Armory Show, the organization’s scope expanded to include targeted programs that invest in artists and cultural exchange, and the organization’s infrastructure grew to include a robust board of 20 and a dedicated staff based in New York and Tel Aviv. Artis is dedicated to advancing cultural exchange, fostering valuable connections, sharing knowledge, and providing funding to create meaningful opportunities for artists and the global art world. For more information, visit artis.art.
About the Position
Artis seeks an energetic, highly organized individual to serve as our Program and Operations Assistant. The ideal candidate is a strong administrator and contemporary art enthusiast with experience working in an arts nonprofit. The Program and Operations Assistant will play a key role within our small team, providing support to senior staff working in New York. This position is ideal for someone looking to develop a comprehensive understanding of arts administration, including grantmaking, communications, public programming, and fundraising. The Program Assistant will participate in all aspects of the organization and must be comfortable, confident, and excited to work in a fast-paced, evolving, and artist-centered organization.
Artis offers competitive compensation based upon experience; health care benefits; generous vacation; and a friendly office environment. Artis is an equal opportunity employer.
- Provide general office and administrative assistance to senior staff in NY, including assistance with all organizational programs (Exhibition and Residency Grant Programs, Curatorial Seminars, Public Programs)
- Support Executive Director in general fundraising and related programs
- Support financial tracking
- Assist with public programs and special events
- Develop and implement regular communications and social media content
- Other duties, as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree with 2 or more years nonprofit or administration experience or Masters degree with 1 or more years of experience.
- A solid understanding of art history and contemporary art.
- An understanding of global politics and sensitivity to diverse perspectives from the Middle East.
- A strong, working knowledge of Mac and Google platforms/apps, WordPress, Microsoft Office Suite, and social media.
- Passion for taking initiative, working well under pressure, details, organization ,and the ability to carry out multiple projects independently and as part of a group.
- Strong written and verbal communication, interpersonal skills, creativity, a sense of humor and the ability to communicate effectively.
How to Apply
Applicants should send a cover letter detailing their interest in the position and organization; experience with the key responsibilities detailed in this position description; a resume; and contact information for three references, including a description of your relationship to the reference, by March 10, 2019. All information should be sent to email@example.com attn: Hillit Zwick, Executive Director, with the subject line “Program and Operations Assistant”. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered. No phone calls please. We regret we are unable to respond individually to each applicant, and will respond only to candidates being considered for interviews. Thank you for your interest.