Open Position: Executive Director
Posted January 19, 2018
Artis is an independent nonprofit organization that supports contemporary artists from Israel whose work addresses aesthetic, social and political questions that inspire reflection and debate. Artis was founded in 2004 by philanthropist Rivka Saker with the goal of amplifying international recognition of artists from Israel. Starting off as a series of public events timed with New York’s Armory Show, the organization’s scope expanded to include targeted programs that invest in artists and cultural exchange, and the organization’s infrastructure grew to include a robust board of 20 and a dedicated staff based in New York and Tel Aviv. Artis is dedicated to advancing cultural exchange, fostering valuable connections, sharing knowledge, and providing funding to create meaningful opportunities for artists and the global art world. For more information, visit artis.art.
Artis’ new leader will be based in New York, building from a strong base and helping to shape the organization’s future. Key focus areas will be: to drive fundraising while remaining ambitious in advancing Artis’ activities, brand and public reach; to shape the artistic direction of Artis’ programs in collaboration with Board and staff; to work with partners to sustain resources; and to continue to evolve Artis’ ethos so that it remains nimble, relevant and distinguished. Artis is committed to a lean operating base to maximize the potential of its activities. The Executive Director will report to the Board through its Chair and work on the priorities listed below.
- Act as the chief creative director, overseeing all programming efforts. Determine and oversee Artis’ calendar, programs, and workflow in New York and Tel Aviv, including: internationally touring public programs; artist residency grant program; exhibition grant program; curatorial seminar program in Israel; and programs that put contemporary art from Israel in context of the larger art world, including video interviews and writing commissions.
- Operate as the organization’s chief fundraising officer to plan, direct and implement Artis’ funding efforts including individual giving and foundation support, Board giving and earned income – from identifying funding sources to cultivation, solicitation, and recognition.
- With support and guidance from the Board, plan and execute targeted cultivation events in New York, Tel Aviv and other locations.
- Work with the Board to develop and refine organizational goals and strategies. Deftly navigate arts, arts management, and funding circles and advise the board on potential opportunities and challenges.
- Organize meetings of the Board and its committees, and facilitate communication among them. Keep all trustees informed through periodic communication and reports. Leverage strengths and talents of the Board to advance Artis’ mission and goals.
Operations and Management
- Allocate resources to reflect the operating priorities approved by the Board.
- Cultivate, manage, recruit, and retain a small and talented professional staff, contractor and volunteer team engaged with program design and production, donor management, marketing and communications, and finance and administration. Foster a collaborative, efficient and positive workplace, and work within multiple time zones.
- Develop metrics of success and performance, and regularly evaluate all activities.
- Closely manage Artis’ budgets and finances, and oversee all administration in compliance with relevant state and federal rules and regulations. Prepare annual and multi-year budgets and provide timely and accurate financial reports to the Board.
- Remain informed of global art trends and topics in efforts to keep programming current.
- Manage relations with artists diplomatically and sensitively and have a strong understanding of the complexities of working with contemporary artists from Israel.
Marketing and Communications
- Work with staff and contractors to drive awareness of Artis’ activities through web-based, social media, and traditional avenues.
- Serve as an articulate spokesperson for Artis to increase awareness, to reinforce the institutional mission via public platforms.
Artis is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, citizenship status, veteran status, disability or any other criteria specified by federal, state, or local laws, in the administration of its employment policy.
How To Apply
No phone inquiries, please. We regret we are unable to respond individually to each applicant, and will respond only to candidates being considered for interviews. Please email cover letter, resume, three references with contact information, and salary requirements by March 1, 2018, with the Subject Line “Executive Director Search” to: email@example.com. Thank you for your interest.
Download a pdf of this job posting.