Artis is an independent nonprofit organization that supports contemporary artists from Israel whose work addresses aesthetic, social and political questions to inspire reflection and debate.
Artis was founded in 2004 by philanthropist Rivka Saker with the goal of amplifying international recognition of artists from Israel. Starting off as a series of public events timed with New York’s Armory Show, the organization’s scope organically expanded to include programs that invest in artists and cultural exchange. We raise our annual budget without governmental funds through the generosity of individuals and foundations that share our values. Artis is based in New York and Tel Aviv.
What We Do
Artis connects artists, art professionals, and the public. We do so through interconnected programs that emphasize sustained support for visual artists from Israel living anywhere in the world whose work is in dialogue with contemporary art discourse. Our programs are built around two goals:
- fostering opportunities for international cultural exchange with arts professionals and artists from Israel.
- creating opportunities for public engagement with and understanding of art and artists from Israel.
- We believe that artists generate transformative experiences and ideas that are essential to local and global culture, and to our rapidly changing world.
- We support living artists of any religion, ethnicity, race, gender, political persuasion, or additional national identity.
- We support freedom of speech and artistic expression for all people.
Artis is dedicated to advancing cultural exchange, fostering valuable connections, sharing knowledge, and providing funding to create meaningful opportunities for artists and the global art world. Since our founding in 2004:
- We have hosted 200 prominent arts professionals on Curatorial Seminars in Israel, resulting in 436 projects, initiatives, or articles
- We have collaborated with 448 institutions through Curatorial Seminars, Public Programs and Exhibition Grants
- We have supported 490 artists through Career Development programs, many of whom later received artist grants
- We have awarded 292 grants, totaling $1.5 million to artists, writers, and institutions
- Our programs have reached audiences in 70 cities across 6 continents
Elena Levi, Associate Director of Programs, NY
Rotem Ruff, Associate Director, TLV
Chen Tamir, Curatorial Associate, TLV
Evi Musher Shechter
Jennifer V. Roth
Yudit Shapira Haviv, Assistant to the Board Chair